Yummy soup to warm you on a cold winter day.
2 Tbsp. Brummel and Brown Yogurt Butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. tomato paste (or use 2 chopped fresh tomatos)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. kosher salt, more to taste
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, more to taste
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 qt. chicken broth, low sodium
1 c. red lentils (but others will do)
2 carrots (kept in large pieces)
9-10 oz. chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lemon, more to taste
- In a large pot, heat butter. Add onion and garlic and saute until golden brown. If some sticks to the bottom of the pan, use a little extra chicken broth to remove it and fold into the onions.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 2 c. water, letnils and carrot. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered until lentils are soft, about 1/2 hour. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- In a blender, puree 1/2 the mixture, including all carrots, and return to the pot with unblended other 1/2 of soup.
- Reheat soup if necessary. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted.
If you want to make this a fuller lunch, try steaming 1- 2 c. of various veggies (like snap peas, brocolli bits or brocolli slaw, and mushrooms) in 1/2 c. of chicken bullion. When done but still crisp, add in one portion of the soup - the extra veggies add a lot of bulk and make the soup more filling! Now, try having a WW Giant Chocolate Bar for only 1 point for dessert.
Hiint: if you have left over cilantro, clean and chop it and keep in your freezer.
Go back to
my Weight Watcher's Home Page
kcEnamels.com Home Page